Kurt Vonnegut’s Rules for the Short Story
1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things–reveal character or advance the action.
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them–in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.
- sonateana reblogged this from ktowwn
- sonateana likes this
- factor-of-four reblogged this from writingsfortheuninspireduniverse
- taesticle likes this
- parteulogypartcelebrationsong likes this
- writingsfortheuninspireduniverse reblogged this from brayofheart
- writingsfortheuninspireduniverse likes this
- ktowwn reblogged this from brayofheart
- ktowwn likes this
- mrsstadler likes this
- mad-raisins likes this
- kurobarapetals likes this
- brayofheart reblogged this from backyardheart
- kupcov reblogged this from adventofreason
- kupcov likes this
- tear-ring likes this
- whatbecameof4ever reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- soundslikeadventure likes this
- halfacemischief likes this
- friendlyneighborhoodwerecat reblogged this from themoormaiden
- atrophicyouth likes this
- yonguq likes this
- himjongs reblogged this from its-a-writer-thing
- peripateticthinker likes this
- chansondesechoes likes this
- its-a-criminal-minds-thing likes this
- storm-maker reblogged this from themoormaiden
- maestro-vulpes likes this
- thebooknerd1717 likes this
- midnight-owlie likes this
- friendlyneighborhoodwerecat likes this
- themonthofapril likes this
- gryphonfledgling reblogged this from lkfiction
- wordslingers-to-me reblogged this from its-a-writer-thing
- chicken-wings93akaspazzy reblogged this from rat2rrj
- chicken-wings93akaspazzy likes this
- earlgreyteascones likes this
- believesinprussia reblogged this from its-a-writer-thing
- believesinprussia likes this
- lkfiction reblogged this from ywsgazette
- cherrysan96 reblogged this from its-a-writer-thing
- cherrysan96 likes this
- saphmira reblogged this from ywsgazette
- saphmira likes this
- the-curve-of-forgetting likes this
- rainydaysandpoetry reblogged this from ywsgazette
- ywsgazette reblogged this from its-a-writer-thing
- ileftmygutsinsanfrancisco likes this
- theknittingwordsmith reblogged this from its-a-writer-thing
- reemsical likes this